School and Adolescent Oral Health Committee
School and Adolescent Oral Health Programs
SAOH's programs promote, protect, and assure the oral health and well-being of school-aged children and adolescents. Through these programs, children and adolescents are encouraged to accept self-responsibility for their oral health, develop life-long healthy behaviors, and receive education, preventive care, treatment and other services.
School and adolescent oral health programs strive to:
(1) Assess the oral health needs of school-age children and adolescents;
(2) Develop policies to improve the oral health of children and adolescents and their famlies;
(3) Assure that children and adolescents are getting needed prevention and treatment services.
ASTDD Policy Statements to Support the Integration of Oral Health into the Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child Model.
- School Dental Sealant Programs (January 2016)
- Integrating Oral Health into the Whole School Whole Community Whole Child School Health Model (Sept 2015)
- Integrating Oral Health Education into Health Education Curricula in Schools (August 2013)
- Nutrition Education and Healthy Eating in School Settings (March 2015)
Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child Oral Health Toolkit
This toolkit contains resources to assist in integrating oral health into the Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child (WSCC) model. The toolkit is useful for oral health programs, school nurses and other health professionals, teachers and school administrators, community health workers, parents and others who are interested in promoting oral health in the school-setting following a model that addresses the whole child and whose goal is to improve learning and health among school-age children. We value your input and appreciate your feedback on the WSCC Toolkit. Send your comments to email@example.com
- WSCC Oral Health Fact Sheet
- WSCC Introductory PowerPoint
- WSCC PowerPoint Notes
- Capacity Building Tool: Recommendations for Integrating Oral Health into the WSCC Model
- Best Practice Report: Improving Children's Oral Health through the Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child Model (March 2017)
- ASTDD Basic Screening Survey Tool
- Links of Interest
- WSCC Overview (CDC)
- WSCC Fact Sheet (CDC)
- Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child: Expanding the Evidence Base: The CDC, ASCD, and numerous partners have published ten articles in the November 2015 special supplement of the Journal of School Health, the journal of the American School Health Association. The articles are free to download.
- Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child = Better Oral Health Webinar
This webinar hosted by Smiles Across America (September 2015) reviews the components of ASTDD's e-toolkit and provides recommendations for incorporating dental health into the CDC's Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child (WSCC) school health model.
- Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child = Better Oral Health – On February 29, 2016, members of the ASTDD School and Adolescent Oral Health Committee presented the Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child = Better Oral Health webcast. Schools play a critical role in promoting the health and safety of children between 5 and 17 years of age, helping them to establish lifelong behaviors that promote health and wellness. Schools may also play a role in promoting the integration of oral health with general health and well-being. Research demonstrates a link between general health and dental health outcomes and academic success. For more than 10 years, ASTDD's School and Adolescent Oral Health Committee has promoted the integration of oral health into a comprehensive model of school health. This webinar targeting dental directors, sealant program coordinators and stakeholders, reviewed the components of an e-toolkit and provided recommendations for incorporating dental health into the CDC's Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child (WSCC) school health model. In addition to the recording, the PowerPoint slides are available for individuals who were not able to participate in the webcast. (February 2016)
- Submit a short 2 page summary of your successful school-based program that uses the the Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child model to be posted and shared online.
WSCC Oral Health Integration and Recommendations
- Dental Sealants: A Resource Guide describes materials such as brochures, fact sheets, guidelines, curricula, and reports published from 2011 through 2016. Topics include data and surveillance; policy; professional education, tools, and training; public education; and state and local programs. Information about federal agencies, national professional associations, and resource centers that may serve as resources are also included.
- Oral Health and Learning: When Children's Oral Health Suffers, So Does Their Ability to Learn (National Maternal and Child Oral Health Resource Center)
- School and Adolescent Oral Health Committee Webinar: The ABCs of Oral Health for the National Association of School Nurses. (October 2014)
- ASTDD's Best Practices Approach Report: School-Based Dental Sealant Programs (updated Sept. 2014)
- ASTDD Best Practices Approach Report: Improving Children's Oral Health through the Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child Model (March 2017)
- Be an Oral Health Champion: How School-Based Clinic Staff Can Help Students Achieve Good Oral Health
- Child and Adolescent Oral Health Issues
- Comprehensive Oral Health Services for Improving Children's and Adolescents' Oral Health Through School-Based Health Centers
- Pain and Suffering Shouldn't Be an Option: School-Based and School Linked Oral Health Services for Children and Adolescents
- Promoting Oral Health in Schools: A Resource Guide
- Resource Highlights: Focus on K-12 Education
- Resource Highlights: Focus on School Health Services
- Resource Highlights: Focus on School Readiness
- Reaching New Heights in Health with School-based Oral Health Programs