The Association of State and Territorial Dental Directors (ASTDD) is a national non-profit organization representing the directors and staff of state/territorial public health agency programs for oral health. It was organized in 1948 and is one of 20 affiliates of the Association of State and Territorial Health Officials (ASTHO). ASTDD formulates and promotes the establishment of national dental public health policy, assists state/territorial dental programs in the development and implementation of programs and policies for the prevention of oral diseases; builds awareness and strengthens dental public health professionals' knowledge and skills by developing position papers and policy statements; provides information on oral health to health officials and policy makers, and conducts conferences for the dental public health community.
A strong and effective governmental oral health presence in states and territories to assure optimal oral health.
- promote and support a governmental oral health presence in each state and territory,
- increase awareness of oral health as an important and integral part of overall health,
- address oral health equity,
- promote evidence-based oral health policies and practices, and
- assist in the development of initiatives to prevent and control oral diseases.
The ASTDD Membership consists of the chief dental public health officer (state dental director) of the state health department or equivalent agency, and the U. S. Territories. ASTDD also offers Individual or Organizational Associate Membership which is open to any public agency, voluntary organization, tribal entity and/or health professionals employed or interested in dental public health. Members and Associate members serve on and chair committee's or work groups, receive the ASTDD newsletter, are enrolled on the ASTDD list serve, and participate in the ASTDD Annual Business Meeting held in conjunction with the annual National Oral Health Conference. Individual Associate member dues are $75.00 per year. Organizational Associate Membership dues are $400 per year.
ASTDD Key Messages
State Oral Health Programs make an essential contribution to public health and must be continued and enhanced. Resources to Support ASTDD Key Messages.
- 1. A successful SOHP must have diversified funding that includes funding for state and local evidence-based programs.
- 2. A successful SOHP needs a continuous, strong, credible, forward-thinking leader.
- 3. A successful SOHP needs a complement of staff, consultants and partners with proficiency in the ASTDD Competencies for SOHPs.
- 4. A successful SOHP needs one or more broad-based coalitions that include partners with fiscal and political clout.
- 5. A successful SOHP must have valid data (oral health status and other) to use for evaluation, high quality oral health surveillance, a state oral health plan with implementation strategies, and evidence-based programs and policies.
Announcements, Publications & Documents
- Navigating the ASTDD Website: This tutorial provides tips on how to navigate the ASTDD website more efficiently and productively.
- ASTDD Strategic Map 2022-2024
- 2022 Annual Business Meeting and NOHC Roundup - This issue of Roundup highlights the 2022 ASTDD virtual busiess meeting and the 2022 National Oral Health Conference.
- ASTDD Roundup - Check out the January/February 2022 edition of the ASTDD Roundup, a summary of selected ASTDD consultant, committee, project and meeting summaries.
- 2021 ASTDD Annual Report
- 2021 ASTDD Overview PowerPoint
- 2022 ASTDD Annual Business Meeting Minutes
- 2022 ASTDD Awards Brochure
- 2022 ASTDD/CDC/ADA Community Water Fluoridation Awards Brochure
- 2022 ASTDD/CDC/ADA Community Water Fluoridation Awards PowerPoint
- State Synopses Summary Report 2022 - This report contains aggregated data for responses to selected items on the 2020-2021 State Synopses of Dental Public Health Programs.
- ASTDD National Oral Health Data Portal
- Recording of January 10, 2022 Launch of the National Oral Health Data Portal
- American Dental Association (ADA) - Coronavirus Resource Center ADA.org/VirusResources includes the newest practice management, safety and clinical guidance.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Occupational Health and Safety Administration - Guidance for Preparing Workplaces for COVID-19
- OSAP COVID-19 Toolkit - Check out the latest COVID-19 information from regulatory agencies, government, research institutes, dental associations, and health organizations.
Organizational Associate Members
- American Dental Hygienists' Association
- KoKua Kalihi Valley Comprehensive Family Services
- National Network for Oral Health Access
- Oral Health Kansas
- Oral Health Progress and Equity Network (OPEN)
- Organization for Safety, Asepsis & Prevention (OSAP)
- School-Based Health Alliance
- Virginia Commonwealth University
- Virginia Health Catalyst
- West Virginia Oral Health Coalition
- Wyoming Primary Care Association
National Oral Health Conference
Advertising on ASTDD's website does not imply an endorsement by ASTDD of a company's products or services.