The Association of State and Territorial Dental Directors (ASTDD) is a national non-profit organization representing the directors and staff of state public health agency programs for oral health. It was organized in 1948 and is one of 17 affiliates of the Association of State and Territorial Health Officials (ASTHO). ASTDD formulates and promotes the establishment of national dental public health policy, assists state dental programs in the development and implementation of programs and policies for the prevention of oral diseases; builds awareness and strengthens dental public health professionals' knowledge and skills by developing position papers and policy statements; provides information on oral health to health officials and policy makers, and conducts conferences for the dental public health community.
A strong and effective governmental oral health presence in states and territories to assure optimal oral health.
ASTDD provides leadership to promote a governmental oral health presence in each state and territory, to formulate and promote sound oral health policy, to increase awareness of oral health issues, and to assist in the development of initiatives for prevention and control of oral diseases.
The ASTDD Membership consists of the chief dental public health officer (state dental director) of the state health department or equivalent agency, and the U. S. Territories. ASTDD also offers Individual or Organizational Associate Membership which is open to any public agency, voluntary organization, tribal entity and/or health professionals employed or interested in dental public health. Members and Associate members serve on and chair committee's or work groups, receive the ASTDD newsletter, are enrolled on the ASTDD list serve, and participate in the ASTDD Annual Business Meeting held in conjunction with the annual National Oral Health Conference. Individual Associate member dues are $75.00 per year. Organizational Associate Membership dues are $400 per year.
For more information about ASTDD or to apply for Associate Membership, contact Ms. Christine Wood, ASTDD Executive Director, at email@example.com.
ASTDD Key Messages
State Oral Health Programs make an essential contribution to public health and must be continued and enhanced. Resources to Support ASTDD Key Messages.
- 1. A successful SOHP must have diversified funding that includes funding for state and local evidence-based programs.
- 2. A successful SOHP needs a continuous, strong, credible, forward-thinking leader.
- 3. A successful SOHP needs a complement of staff, consultants and partners with proficiency in the ASTDD Competencies for SOHPs.
- 4. A successful SOHP needs one or more broad-based coalitions that include partners with fiscal and political clout.
- 5. A successful SOHP must have valid data (oral health status and other) to use for evaluation, high quality oral health surveillance, a state oral health plan with implementation strategies, and evidence-based programs and policies.
Announcements, Publications & Documents
- The Association of State and Territorial Health Officials, Council of State and Territorial Epidemiologists and ASTDD Archived Webcast
On July 15, the Association of State and Territorial Health Officials hosted a webcast in partnership with ASTDD and the Council of State and Territorial Epidemiologists on oral health among older adults. Presenters included:
- Kimberlie Yineman, RDH, BA, Association of State and Territorial Dental Directors (ASTDD) President
- Kathy Phipps, DrPH, ASTDD Data and Surveillance consultant
- Linda J. Ferraro, RDH, BS, Director, Office of Oral Health, Connecticut Health Department
- Jewel Mullen, MD, MPH, MPA, Association of State and Territorial Health Officials (ASTHO) President and Connecticut Health Department State Health Official
- Katherine Weno, DDS, JD, Director, Division of Oral Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Oral Health Matters - The spring 2015 edition of the ASTDD newsletter; meet members and associate members, check out state shots, and much more. (June 2015)
- ASTDD Services - ASTDD provides state and territorial oral health programs with technical assistance, support and learning opportunities to help them build effective programs and systems, and implement environmental change strategies. This brochure describes the various types of technical assistance with associated tools and resources available from ASTDD. (February 2015)
2016 National Oral Health Conference
April 18 - 20, 2016; Pre-Conference April 16-17, 2016
Advertising on ASTDD's website does not imply an endorsement by ASTDD of a company's products or services.