The Association of State and Territorial Dental Directors (ASTDD) is a national non-profit organization representing the directors and staff of state public health agency programs for oral health. It was organized in 1948 and is one of 17 affiliates of the Association of State and Territorial Health Officials (ASTHO). ASTDD formulates and promotes the establishment of national dental public health policy, assists state dental programs in the development and implementation of programs and policies for the prevention of oral diseases; builds awareness and strengthens dental public health professionals' knowledge and skills by developing position papers and policy statements; provides information on oral health to health officials and policy makers, and conducts conferences for the dental public health community.
A strong and effective governmental oral health presence in states and territories to assure optimal oral health.
- advocate for a governmental oral health presence in each state and territory,
- increase awareness of oral health as an important and integral part of overall health,
- address health equity,
- promote evidence-based oral health policy and practice, and
- assist in the development of initiatives to prevent and control oral diseases.
The ASTDD Membership consists of the chief dental public health officer (state dental director) of the state health department or equivalent agency, and the U. S. Territories. ASTDD also offers Individual or Organizational Associate Membership which is open to any public agency, voluntary organization, tribal entity and/or health professionals employed or interested in dental public health. Members and Associate members serve on and chair committee's or work groups, receive the ASTDD newsletter, are enrolled on the ASTDD list serve, and participate in the ASTDD Annual Business Meeting held in conjunction with the annual National Oral Health Conference. Individual Associate member dues are $75.00 per year. Organizational Associate Membership dues are $400 per year.
ASTDD Key Messages
State Oral Health Programs make an essential contribution to public health and must be continued and enhanced. Resources to Support ASTDD Key Messages.
- 1. A successful SOHP must have diversified funding that includes funding for state and local evidence-based programs.
- 2. A successful SOHP needs a continuous, strong, credible, forward-thinking leader.
- 3. A successful SOHP needs a complement of staff, consultants and partners with proficiency in the ASTDD Competencies for SOHPs.
- 4. A successful SOHP needs one or more broad-based coalitions that include partners with fiscal and political clout.
- 5. A successful SOHP must have valid data (oral health status and other) to use for evaluation, high quality oral health surveillance, a state oral health plan with implementation strategies, and evidence-based programs and policies.
Announcements, Publications & Documents
- Oral Health Matters - The fall 2017 edition of the ASTDD newsletter; meet members and associate members, check out state shots, and much more. (November 2017)
- Success Stories from School Sealant Programs - Healthy People 2020 objective OH 12-2 is to "Increase the portion of children aged 6-9 years who have received dental sealants on one or more of their permanent first molar teeth." Building a successful school-based dental sealant program is a means of meeting this objective. In this webcast, three presenters from various school-based sealant programs, present information about an important school-based dental sealant program component and share a story around building a successful sealant program. Resources, such as the ASTDD School-based Dental Sealant Best Practice Approach Report and the 2017 Children's Dental Health Project, Sealant Work Group Recommendations as well as other state manuals and reports, will be shared for future use in building a successful program. (November 2017)
Introduction and Resources PowerPoint
Terri Chandler PowerPoint
Stephanie Chickering PowerPoint
Matt Crespin PowerPoint
Infographic Example – Nevada Hospital Emergency Room usage
Infographic Example – Future Smiles Statewide Summary Report
Infographic Example – Martinez Elementary School Report
- Fluoride Varnish Program Report and Fluoride Varnish Program Catalog - The Association of State and Territorial Dental Directors (ASTDD) is pleased to share the results of the survey of the school-based fluoride varnish programs (children 6-17 years old) operating in the U.S in 2015-2016. In addition to the description of the survey, we were able to create a catalog of fluoride varnish programs by state. We found that responders defined fluoride varnish programs differently and we were not able to clearly identify programs that offered only fluoride varnish. We also identified states that did not answer in the affirmative while incorporate fluoride varnish into existing school-based programming. The number of programs and contacts may have changed since the survey was conducted. Please send any additions, corrections or other clarifications directly to our consultant, LeeAnn HoaglinCooper. The complete survey questions and responses are available to ASTDD members in the Members Only section of the ASTDD website. (October 2017)
- The New and Improved Children's Basic Screening Survey (BSS) - In July 2017, ASTDD published the newest version of the children's Basic Screening Survey (BSS) manual. The primary change to the manual is the addition of two optional indicators - potentially arrested decay and sealants on primary molars. This webinar provided detailed information on the additional indicators and how they may impact future data collection along with comparisons to prior survey results. At the end of this webinar, participants will be able to (1) describe the evolution of the BSS since its inception in 1999, (2) describe the clinical criteria for the optional indicators and (3) understand how revised data collection will impact calculation of the NOHSS indicators. (October 2017)
- Emergency Department Oral Care Surveillance for State Oral Health Programs webcast - This webinar summarized the activities and developments of a DentaQuest funded ASTDD project to review research and the methodologies used to assess oral care provided in emergency departments (EDs), with an emphasis on care provided for non-traumatic oral conditions (NTDCs) that would be more effectively addressed in the primary oral care delivery system. The webcast also reviewed the surveillance protocols ASTDD developed for state use to provide for more uniform and comparable ED oral care surveillance data across states. (September 2017)
- Indian Health Service Division of Oral Health Overview for State Dental Directors (password = "ASTDD") – Dr. Tim Ricks, Deputy Director of the IHS Division of Oral Health presented a 90-minute webinar designed to provide State & Territorial Dental Directors with an overview of the Indian Health Service Division of Oral Health, including recent initiatives and projects. The goal of this webinar was to facilitate open lines of communications between IHS Area Dental Officers & Dental Support Centers with State Dental Directors, forging new partnerships and reinforcing previous ones. IHS Headquarters Staff, Area Dental Officers, and Dental Support Centers were also invited to the webinar, and State Dental Directors were encouraged to ask questions throughout the webinar to learn more about the IHS. (September 2017)
- Power Point
- 2017 Area Dental Officer – IHS Division of Oral Health Contact List
- Final report, IHS Early Childhood Caries Collaborative
- IHS Early Childhood Caries Resource Page
- IHS Dental Depression Screening Project Summary
- Clinical Guidelines on Depression Screenings in Dental
- Data briefs from past IHS oral health surveys
- Overview of IHS oral health initiatives and projects
- Adapting to Public Administration in State Government: How Not to Get Hung by the Government Ropes - Today's management environment presents many challenges including, dealing with multi-generational staff, office hours and locations, budgets, and hiring. Have you been struggling with how to manage staff that has a different perspective on how to complete assigned tasks? Do you have staff requesting off-site work locations or flexible hours? Has your program budget made it difficult to compete with private industry when hiring? Are you making decisions based on your environment vs. instinct? Is there an opportunity for you to strengthen your leadership skills so you avoid getting tangled in the "government ropes?" Our presenter, Dr. Bob Russell, recently completed a Certified Public Manager Program through Drake University and shared his insight into these complex management issues. (August 2017)
- ASTDD Performance Management Toolkit for State Oral Health Programs - The purpose of this toolkit is to provide state oral health programs with an orientation to performance management (PM) as well as resources to further learning and competency related to PM. The toolkit grew out of an identified need among Association of State and Territorial Dental Director (ASTDD) members and requests for information and technical assistance. (August 2017)
- ASTDD 2016 Annual Report
April 16-18, 2018 | Louisville, Kentucky
|American Dental Association|
|Medical Products Laboratories, Inc.|
|DNTLworks Equipment Corporation, Inc.|
|Elevate Oral Care|
|Premier Dental Products Company|
|Sentry Dental Products|
For Additional information visit the NOHC Website
Advertising on ASTDD's website does not imply an endorsement by ASTDD of a company's products or services.