The Association of State and Territorial Dental Directors (ASTDD) is a national non-profit organization representing the directors and staff of state public health agency programs for oral health. It was organized in 1948 and is one of 17 affiliates of the Association of State and Territorial Health Officials (ASTHO). ASTDD formulates and promotes the establishment of national dental public health policy, assists state dental programs in the development and implementation of programs and policies for the prevention of oral diseases; builds awareness and strengthens dental public health professionals' knowledge and skills by developing position papers and policy statements; provides information on oral health to health officials and policy makers, and conducts conferences for the dental public health community.
A strong and effective governmental oral health presence in states and territories to assure optimal oral health.
- advocate for a governmental oral health presence in each state and territory,
- increase awareness of oral health as an important and integral part of overall health,
- address health equity,
- promote evidence-based oral health policy and practice, and
- assist in the development of initiatives to prevent and control oral diseases.
The ASTDD Membership consists of the chief dental public health officer (state dental director) of the state health department or equivalent agency, and the U. S. Territories. ASTDD also offers Individual or Organizational Associate Membership which is open to any public agency, voluntary organization, tribal entity and/or health professionals employed or interested in dental public health. Members and Associate members serve on and chair committee's or work groups, receive the ASTDD newsletter, are enrolled on the ASTDD list serve, and participate in the ASTDD Annual Business Meeting held in conjunction with the annual National Oral Health Conference. Individual Associate member dues are $75.00 per year. Organizational Associate Membership dues are $400 per year.
ASTDD Key Messages
State Oral Health Programs make an essential contribution to public health and must be continued and enhanced. Resources to Support ASTDD Key Messages.
- 1. A successful SOHP must have diversified funding that includes funding for state and local evidence-based programs.
- 2. A successful SOHP needs a continuous, strong, credible, forward-thinking leader.
- 3. A successful SOHP needs a complement of staff, consultants and partners with proficiency in the ASTDD Competencies for SOHPs.
- 4. A successful SOHP needs one or more broad-based coalitions that include partners with fiscal and political clout.
- 5. A successful SOHP must have valid data (oral health status and other) to use for evaluation, high quality oral health surveillance, a state oral health plan with implementation strategies, and evidence-based programs and policies.
Announcements, Publications & Documents
- Oral Health Matters - The winter 2018 edition of the ASTDD newsletter; meet members and associate members, check out state shots, and much more. (March 2018)
- ASTDD Awards Brochure 2018
- Oral Health Educational Resources for Home Visitors and Families: Environmental Scan: 2018 Update The Association of State and Territorial Dental Directors Early Childhood Oral Health Committee, Home Visiting Subcommittee, conducted an environmental scan to identify oral health educational resources for home visitors and the families they serve. The environmental scan also addresses gaps in existing oral health resources and opportunities to promote oral health in home visiting programs. (April, 2018)
- In this white paper ASTDD explains the rationale for supporting efforts to provide a comprehensive dental benefit for older adults in publicly funded programs such as Medicare and Medicaid, and inclusion of dental benefits in all health insurance plans. In it ASTDD also encourages state level data collection and supports research efforts to further document cost-savings and overall economic benefit from optimum oral health among older adults. (February 2018) –
- Annual Committee/Focus Area Reports January 1, 2017 - December 31, 2017
- Associate Members
- Best Practices
- Chronic Disease
- Data and OH Surveillance
- Dental Public Health Resources
- Dental Sealants
- Early Childhood
- Healthy Aging
- Performance Management
- Perinatal Oral Health
- School and Adolescent Health
- State Development and Enhancement
- Tobacco and Oral Cancer
- Training Health Care Professionals to Focus on the Oral-Systemic Health of Older Adults – During this webcast, three programs that successfully train future health care professionals to work with the older adult population, with a focus on oral-systemic health, presented. (January 2018)
- ASTDD 2016 Annual Report
April 16-18, 2018 | Louisville, Kentucky
|American Dental Association|
|Medical Products Laboratories, Inc.|
|DNTLworks Equipment Corporation, Inc.|
|Elevate Oral Care|
|Premier Dental Products Company|
|Sentry Dental Products|
For Additional information visit the NOHC Website
Advertising on ASTDD's website does not imply an endorsement by ASTDD of a company's products or services.