Infection Prevention and Safety
State oral health programs have a shared responsibility for the safe delivery of oral health care. ASTDD is partnering with the Organization for Safety, Asepsis and Prevention (OSAP) to link states to technical assistance, educational materials, information on policy development and other resources on infection prevention and safety.
The ASTDD-OSAP Infection Prevention and Safety Project has identified a number of resources that may be helpful to State Oral Health Programs.
- Guide for Safety and Infection Control for Healthcare Missions. An infection control guide to assist dental healthcare personnel in resource constrained settings. Originally designed for oral healthcare missions, the guide has been used in areas experiencing the disruption of safe water supplies and electricity.
- Boil Water Advisory. An online toolkit for areas experiencing a boil-water alert.
- CDC Guidelines: from Policy to Practice. Boil-Water Advisory Dos and Don'ts. Summary information on boil-water alerts.
- Guidelines for Infection Control in Dental Health-Care Settings 2003. This CDC MMWR contains information on boil-water Alerts (see page 30 and page 45).
- HIV Pre-Exposure Brief for Oral Health Professionals
For further information about Infection Prevention and Safety Guidelines, Education and Training, Policies and Other Resources see the Organization for Safety, Asepsis and Prevention.
A non-profit organization, OSAP is a unique group of dental practitioners, allied healthcare workers, industry representatives, and other interested persons with a collective mission to promote infection control and related science-based health and safety policies and practices. OSAP supports this commitment to dental workers and the public through quality education and information dissemination. OSAP is a trusted source of information for dental educators, consultants, clinicians, researchers and policy makers that provides timely updates, advanced education, innovative training tools, referenced answers to vexing infection control questions and proven strategies to address compliance challenges. Its checklists, issue foci and position papers provide practical, scientifically sound information and recommendations on specific issues like H1N1, dental unit water quality, "green" infection control, instrument processing, surface asepsis, percutaneous injuries, and much more.
Examples of some of the tools include:
- OSAP Infection Control Considerations for Dental Services in Sites Using Portable Equipment or Mobile Vans - Site Analysis
- OSAP Infection Control Checklist for Dental Programs Using Mobile Vans or Portable Dental Equipment
Other Safety Resources
Other safety issues include ergonomics, eye protection, use of visible light cure units, noise control, handling of dental mercury, ventilation, nitrous oxide, radiation from dental x-rays, etc.
American Dental Association
ADA resources on infection control.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
CDC has a worker health and safety webpage.
National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
Numerous resources and a searchable database.
Safety and Health Topics for Dentistry from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
OSHA standards and directives related to dentistry.
USAF Dental Evaluation and Consultation Service
Numerous resources and tools on infection prevention and safety.
Safety Net Dental Clinic Manual, Chapter 4, Section VIII
Numerous resources that apply to dental and other healthcare settings.