The Association of State and Territorial Dental Directors (ASTDD) is a national non-profit organization representing the directors and staff of state/territorial public health agency programs for oral health. It was organized in 1948 and is one of 20 affiliates of the Association of State and Territorial Health Officials (ASTHO). ASTDD formulates and promotes the establishment of national dental public health policy, assists state/territorial dental programs in the development and implementation of programs and policies for the prevention of oral diseases; builds awareness and strengthens dental public health professionals' knowledge and skills by developing position papers and policy statements; provides information on oral health to health officials and policy makers, and conducts conferences for the dental public health community.
A strong and effective governmental oral health presence in states and territories to assure optimal oral health.
- promote and support a governmental oral health presence in each state and territory,
- increase awareness of oral health as an important and integral part of overall health,
- address oral health equity,
- promote evidence-based oral health policies and practices, and
- assist in the development of initiatives to prevent and control oral diseases.
The ASTDD Membership consists of the chief dental public health officer (state dental director) of the state health department or equivalent agency, and the U. S. Territories. ASTDD also offers Individual or Organizational Associate Membership which is open to any public agency, voluntary organization, tribal entity and/or health professionals employed or interested in dental public health. Members and Associate members serve on and chair committee's or work groups, receive the ASTDD newsletter, are enrolled on the ASTDD list serve, and participate in the ASTDD Annual Business Meeting held in conjunction with the annual National Oral Health Conference. Individual Associate member dues are $75.00 per year. Organizational Associate Membership dues are $400 per year.
ASTDD Key Messages
State Oral Health Programs make an essential contribution to public health and must be continued and enhanced. Resources to Support ASTDD Key Messages.
- 1. A successful SOHP must have diversified funding that includes funding for state and local evidence-based programs.
- 2. A successful SOHP needs a continuous, strong, credible, forward-thinking leader.
- 3. A successful SOHP needs a complement of staff, consultants and partners with proficiency in the ASTDD Competencies for SOHPs.
- 4. A successful SOHP needs one or more broad-based coalitions that include partners with fiscal and political clout.
- 5. A successful SOHP must have valid data (oral health status and other) to use for evaluation, high quality oral health surveillance, a state oral health plan with implementation strategies, and evidence-based programs and policies.
Announcements, Publications & Documents
- Navigating the ASTDD Website: This tutorial provides tips on how to navigate the ASTDD website more efficiently and productively.
- ASTDD Roundup - Check out the January/February, 2021 ASTDD Roundup, a new bimonthly summary of selected ASTDD consultant, committee, project and meeting summaries
- ASTDD 2020 Annual Report
- ASTDD 2020 Overview PowerPoint
- 2021 ASTDD Annual Business Meeting Minutes
- ASTDD 2021 Awards Brochure
- ASTDD/CDC/ADA 2021 Community Water Fluoridation Awards Brochure
- 2021 ASTDD/CDC/ADA Community Water Fluoridation Awards PowerPoint
- Recording of 2021 ASTDD Annual Business Meeting and Awards Ceremony
- American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (AAPD)
AAPD's COVID-19 information can be found at https://www.aapd.org/about/about-aapd/news-room/covid-19/
- American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)
As the COVID-19 pandemic evolves, the AAP has been staying abreast of all confirmed developments related to its global spread and will continue to be vigilant in efforts to develop and share information and guidance with members. Updates for pediatricians are available at https://services.aap.org/en/pages/2019-novel-coronavirus-covid-19-infections/This website includes:
- Clinical guidance
- Information on PPE
- Practice Management Resources
- Telemedicine and telephone care resources
- Coding information
- Information for families
- Physician wellness tips
- American Association of Dental Boards
- American Dental Association (ADA)
- Coronavirus Resource Center ADA.org/VirusResources includes the newest practice management, safety and clinical guidance.
- American Dental Hygienists' Association (ADHA)
- ADHA has developed a resource page for all things related to COVID19 which is located at www.adha.org/COVID19. This includes an FAQ section along with a running timeline of actions ADHA has taken in response to COVID19. They have also included resources and guidance from national partners so that our community can find answers easily in one place.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Guuidance for Dental Settings
- DentaQuest Partnership for Oral Health Advancement
- The COVID-19 Education Series contains key information on infection control and alternative methods to care, such as teledentistry, during a public health crisis. In addition, the Oral Value-Based Care Series is designed for any health professional who has an interest in transforming from traditional dental care to Value-based Care (VBC). Visit the Online Learning Center for more information.
- Health Resources and Services Administration
- HRSA's COVID-19 FAQs for health centers and related information can be found on the Emergency Preparedness and Recovery Resources for Health Centers webpage.
- Occupational Health and Safety Administration
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- EPA has released an expanded list of EPA-registered disinfectant products that have qualified for use against SARS-CoV-2, the novel coronavirus that causes COVID-19. EPA Expands COVID-19 Disinfectant List
Organizational Associate Members
- American Dental Hygienists' Association
- Future Smiles
- KoKua Kalihi Valley Comprehensive Family Services
- National Network for Oral Health Access
- Oral Health Kansas
- OPEN (Oral Health Progress and Equity Network)
- Organization for Safety, Asepsis & Prevention (OSAP)
- School-Based Health Alliance
- Virginia Commonwealth University
- Virginia Health Catalyst
- West Virginia Oral Health Coalition
- Wyoming Primary Care Association
National Oral Health Conference
Advertising on ASTDD's website does not imply an endorsement by ASTDD of a company's products or services.