Dental Hygienist Liaisons
Key State-Level Contacts for Collaboration
- Head Start State Collaboration Office Directors listed by state
Click on 'StateCollaboration' and download list of all offices in PDF format
- State Oral Health Programs Director contact list
- Head Start Association Directors by state (a master list does not exist, so DHLs will need to search this information via their search engine)
- Head Start Regional Health Specialists Roster
- State Oral Health Coalition
- State and Territory Child and Development Fund (CCDF) Administrators
- American Academy of Pediatrics' Chapter Oral Health Advocates
Other web links for additional information
- Early Head Start / Head Start Program Locator
- EPSDT Dental Periodicity Schedules by State
- National Center on Early Childhood Health and Wellness
- National Center on Early Childhood Health and Wellness - Oral Health webpage
- NCECHW DHL Approved Presentations
This link will take you to a Georgetown University cloud based folder that contains all of the approved presentations.To download the files you want, click each of the boxes on the right hand side of the screen, then click on the download button. You can delete slides and/or combine slides from multiple presentation. But please remember- if you create a brand new presentation or individual slides, they need to be approved by the NCECHW federal steering committee beforehand. All new slides and presentations should be sent to Beth Lowe three (3) weeks before the presentation date. Please contact me at 202-687-1864 or at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any problems or questions.
- AAP Oral Health Policy Statements
- Brush Up on Oral Health Newsletter
- Head Start Early Childhood Knowledge and Learning Center
- Head Start Program Performance Standards Relevant to Oral Health
- Access to Program Information Reports (PIR Data)
- Understanding Head Start Program Information Report Data
The public may contact the HSES Help Desk for an account to access PIR data.
Phone: (866) 771-4737 Email: email@example.com
- Using Oral Health Resources on ECKLC to Support DHL Collaboration - This webinar provides dental hygienist liaisons (DHLs) with an overview of many oral health resources available on the ECKLC website. A virtual tour of ECKLC is included to familiarize DHLs with resources that can be easily accessed. Practical examples of how DHLs can use these resources to support their ongoing collaboration with Head Start and child care programs is included. An update on activities designed to support year-4 DHL project strategies is also included. (November 2018)
NCECHW Oral Heslth Resources Handout
- Promoting Key Oral Health Messages in Early Childhood Programs - The NCECHW recently developed a presentation titled Oral Health Messages to Share with Parents that outlines five key oral health messages in a simple way that is easy for Head Start and child care parents and staff to understand and remember. Hands-on station activities were also developed to accompany each oral health message. This webinar explained how these oral health messages and station activities can be implemented at parent and staff events. The webinar also provided an overview of NCECHW oral health presentations available to DHLs, explained how they can be downloaded, and reviewed the requirements for using NCECHW presentations. In addition, Michelle Landrum provided an update on current activities that support year 3 DHL project strategies aimed to improve the oral health of pregnant women and children served by Head Start and child car programs. (July 2018)
- Brush, Book, Bed – The Importance of Bed Time Routines - The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) created the Brush, Book, Bed (BBB) program to improve oral health services in the medical home by linking oral health information with messages about early literacy, sleep, and establishing a regular nighttime routine. This approach has gained popularity as others, including dental hygienists and child care providers, have adapted the program to help educate families. A pilot study, done in collaboration with Reach Out and Read, showed that the pairing the messages of reading a book with brushing teeth is an effective way of encouraging medical professionals to talk about oral health with their patients. The webinar explains how establishing nighttime routines have been shown to help families, including evidence from the Reach Out and Read program, a description of the AAP BBB pilot, and examples of communities that have used the implementation guide to design a BBB project. Several dental hygienist liaisons (DHL) also shared their experiences with utilizing BBB within their state. In addition, Michelle Landrum reviewed the year 3 DHL project strategies to improve the oral health of pregnant women and children served by Head Start and child care programs. She also provided an overview of upcoming changes to the DHL quarterly report form. (December 2017)
Brush, Book, Bed Implementation Guide and Resources
- Strategies to Increase the Impact of State Dental Hygienist Liaisons - According to a recent survey of dental hygienist liaisons (DHLs), only 19 percent of DHLs feel extremely confident in their role. The webinar provides DHLs with useful, easy-to-implement strategies that can increase the impact of their work. The webinar also provides key information to DHLs to increase their confidence. Topic areas include strategies to increase oral health collaboration, the EPSDT well-child schedule and the dental periodicity schedule, the difference between an oral examination and an oral health screening, and using National Center for Early Childhood Health and Wellness (NCECHW) oral health resources and presentations. DHLs' administrative responsibilities are also discussed. (July 2017)
- Partnering with Child Care to Improve Oral Health for Children in Early Care and Education Programs - The presentation provides an introduction to the child care landscape and the role of the National Resource Center for Health and Safety in Child Care and Early Education (NRC), a collaborative partner of the National Center for Early Childhood Health and Wellness (NCECHW), in supporting early care and education (ECE) programs. The presentation shares information about the development of Caring for Our Children: National Health and Safety Performance Standards-Guidelines for Early Care and Education Programs (3rd ed.) (CFOC3) and special collections, including Oral Health in Child Care and Early Education. The presentation also shares information about the role of child care health consultants (CCHCs) serving ECE programs, including Head Start and it discussed ways that dental hygienist liaisons (DHLs) can partner with CCHCs to improve the oral health of children in ECE programs. (February 2017)
- A Review of the Revised Head Start Program Performance Standards Relevant to Oral Health - The revised Head Start Program Performance Standards (HSPPS) were released on September 6, 2016. This webinar provides a brief history and overview of the HSPPS and the significance of the revised standards. The presenters describe changes pertaining to oral health-related HSPPS and what these changes mean for Head Start programs and the Dental Hygienist Liaisons who interact with these programs. Additionally, the webinar provides a brief overview of the Program Information Report (PIR) oral health elements and how they relate. (November 2016)
A Review of the Revised Head Start Program Performance Standards Relevant to Oral Health PowerPoint slides
EPSDT well child periodicity schedules (by state): https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/hslc/states/epsdt
American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry EPSDT state dental periodicity schedules: http://www.aapd.org/policy_center/state_dental_periodicity_schedules/#US-FL
AAP oral health policy statements: https://www2.aap.org/oralhealth/PolicyStatements.html
- What's the Head Start PIR and How Can the PIR Be Used for Program Improvement? (June 2016) –The Head Start Program Information Report (PIR) provides the most consistent and comprehensive data on Early Head Start and Head Start program services, including oral health, staff, and on the children and families that the programs serve. All Head Start grantees and delegates are required to submit PIR data each year to the Office of Head Start. This webinar identified national oral health related PIR data and annual trends and explored ways to use the PIR for program improvement, including two state models.
Whats the Head Start PIR PowerPoint Slides
PIR Data (by locale, region, state, nation): https://hses.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/pir
- Health Manager Networks: A System for Peer-to-Peer Support and NCECHW-Approved Oral Health Presentations (May 2016) - Health Manager Networks are unique communities of practice made up of Head Start and early childhood health services staff. These peer-to-peer professional support groups may offer ongoing opportunities for Dental Hygienist Liaisons to reach leaders across their states. Steve Shuman, a Training and Technical Assistance Specialist in the National Center on Early Childhood Health and Wellness, discussed the benefits of peer-to-peer professional support, how to support professional networks of health services staff and how to reach out to health manager network leaders. In addition, Beth Lowe, an oral health specialist with the National Center for Early Childhood Health and Wellness provided information on a series of presentations that DHLs can use, and reporting requirements for presentations. She also instructed DHLs on where and how the presentations can be downloaded.
Power Point Slides
- Welcome to the New National Center on Early Childhood Health and Wellness (Dec 2015)
The presentation provides an overview of the Administration for Children and Families' new Early Childhood Training and Technical Assistance (T/TA) System, the role of the new regional Head Start health specialists, and the new NCECHW with an expanded focus on serving the child care and Head Start communities. It highlights several of NCECHW's oral health activities focusing on the development and dissemination of educational materials and providing T/TA. The presentation also describes the role of state DHLs and new regional DHL coordinators and provides instructions on the stipend criteria and completing the online quarterly progress reports and reimbursements.
Welcome to the New National Center on Early Childhood Health and Wellness PowerPoint slides (pdf version)
Power Point Version (may take long time to download due to file size)
- On June 5, 2015, ASTDD hosted a webcast Better Oral Health for Kids with Special Needs. Dr. Jay Balzer presented. Dr. Balzer is a consultant to ASTDD for persons with special needs. He authored the ASTDD Best Practice Approach Report on Oral Health of Children, Adolescents, and Adults with Special Health Care Needs. He was a career dental officer with USPHS many years ago and served as the federal consultant to state oral health and CSHCN programs in the 8-state Rocky Mountain area. Dr Balzer takes his inspiration from his daughter Allison who was born with severe developmental disabilities and is now 28 and has never had a cavity. Learning objectives for the webcast were that:
1. Participants will understand the wide variety of special needs that may affect oral health.
2. Participants will learn about 11 resources that can be used to promote better oral health for kids with special needs
3. Participants will understand how to identify the "right" dental home for kids with special needs.
Better Oral Health for Kids with Special Needs PowerPoint slides
- Navigating AIAN Healthcare Systems for Head Start Children Webcast: Bonnie Bruerd, MPH, DrPH works as a health policy consultant, currently working on contracts with the Northwest Portland Area Indian Health Board and Indian Health Service. She is currently Co-Chair of the national IHS Early Childhood Caries Collaborative. Her presentation provides an overview of Region XI (American Indian/Alaska Native) Head Start programs and provides tips for working with Indian Health Service, Tribal dental programs, and AIAN communities to improve the oral health of Head Start children. (January 2015)
Navigating AIAN Healthcare Systems Webinar PowerPoint
Head Start Oral Health Program Information Report Webinar ( DHL ) (Sept. 26th, 2014) - This webinar provides a review of Head Start oral health Program Information Reporting (PIR). The oral health PIR is described with examples provided of how the data is used by Head Start. As part of the National Center on Health's (NCH) Cooperative Agreement, the Oral Health Project (OHP) developed a pilot PIR project . The purpose of the pilot project was to prepare a Program Information Report (PIR) data-driven model to help the Regional Offices use PIR data to monitor Head Start grantees' compliance with oral-health-related PIR requirements and to assist them in determining what technical assistance could be provided to the programs in need. This presentation provides an overview of the pilot project methodology, project findings and proposed recommendations.
Head Start Oral Health Program Information Report Webinar PowerPoint
- Building Successful Collaborative State Oral Health Consortiums Webinar (May 30, 2014) - In 2008 the Massachusetts Head Start community and state oral health leaders, with funding from the DentaQuest Foundation, formed the Massachusetts Early Childhood Oral Health Consortium to connect Head Start children to dental homes. We are now engaged in a two-state effort with Pennsylvania to increase access to quality oral health care for young children beginning at age 1. Participants reflected upon the consortium approach to effective state oral health coalition-building, including engaging stakeholders, cultivating oral health champions, and building successful public-private partnerships such as the Pennsylvania Medicaid Managed Care Organization (MCO)/Head Start Liaison project. Participants considered lessons learned that may inform the development of state-specific strategies to improve access to comprehensive oral care for all young children, especially those most at risk.
Building Successful Collaborative State Oral Health Consortiums PowerPoint
Collection of data in Head Start
Collaborative Partnerships: Examples of Head Start Oral Health Activities in Kansas and Maryland
- Nov. 22, 2013 Head Start Dental Hygienist Liaison Archived Webinar
- Nov. 22, 2013 Head Start Dental Hygienist Liaison slide presentation
- Nov. 22, 2013 Webinar Questions and Answers
Oral Health Resources to Support Head Start Programs
- June 14, 2013 Head Start Dental Hygienist Liaison Archived Recorded Webcast
- June 14, 2013 Head Start Dental Hygienist Liaison Webcast Slides
- June 14, 2013 Head Start Dental Hygienist Liaison Webcast Script
- June 14, 2013 Head Start Dental Hygienist Liaison Webcast Questions & Answers
A Review of Head Start : Its Mission, History, Services ,Performance Standards and PIR and An Overview of the Head Start National Center on Health
- February 8, 2013 Head Start Dental Hygienist Liaison Webcast PowerPoint Presentation
- February 8, 2013 Head Start Dental Hygienist Liaison Archived Recorded Webcast.
- DHL Question and Answers