Dental Public Health Activities: Descriptive Summaries
Kansas Head Start Association Teeth for Two- Archived Summary
|Teeth for Two is an initiative Kansas Head Start Association (KHSA) is implementing with a grant from Delta Dental Plan of Kansas Foundation. The grant provides $29,000 to be expended between December, 2004 and November, 2005. The goal of Teeth for Two is to improve the oral health habits of and services to pregnant women. This is part of KHSA's overall vision to keep children cavity free. The grant provides for a package of materials for home visitors and for the prenatal staff of five community agency who are partners of Early Head Start (EHS). The materials include:|
(1) Teeth for Two presentation flipcharts for home visitors and prenatal educators
(2) Teeth for Two brochures for distribution in homes, health departments, dental and physician offices, health fairs, etc.
(3) Bright Futures Oral Health Pocket Guides for staff continuing education
(4) Your Oral Health is Your Baby's DVD produced by Dr. Michael Kanellis at the University of Iowa's College of Dentistry
(5) Teeth for Two Curriculum Modules designed to guide presentations to pregnant women during home visits, office visits, and community workshops
KHSA is requesting that EHS programs consider offering Teeth for Two community workshops for the home visitors and five community partners offering prenatal services. Each workshop will have a training team: a registered dental hygienist and a MCH registered nurse. It is expected that the workshops will train 350 participants. A total of 60,000 brochures and 1500 flipcharts have been ordered (in English and Spanish) and will be distributed. The initial Teeth for Two efforts will include 35 counties, all being served by EHS. KHSA is also designing another 3-hour workshop and searching for community dental hygienists to conduct the workshop. EHS health specialists have been contacted and informed of this training opportunity to improve the oral health of pregnant women.
Contact Person(s) for Inquiries:
Marcia Manter, Early Head Start Oral Health Coordinator, Kansas Head Start Association, 9247 Twilight Lane, Lenexa, KS 66219, Phone: 913-894-5874, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org